Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A very interesting seminar on 'Howard's End' this afternoon. It's certainly got a bit more interesting and a bit more challenging this year-it's something about the pacing and the fact that you are assumed to be competent and capable, rather than a little unsure and in need of a great deal of explantion and 'spelling out'.

I may have a new idea for my dissertation too. I'm really unsure about looking at the Millenial novels of Philip Roth (American Pastoral, I Married a Communist, The Human Stain) and would rather choose another topic.
At the moment I am very interested in the concept of the metropolis that emerges in modernism-partly as a result of my course units this year, partly because the idea has just set me alight these past few days. I wil look into it, see if it's possible, pray about it, and then look at starting it as soon as possible, if I decide it's what I want to do.

I've been busy with Christian Union stuff all day-mostly very basic stuff. The mixer is now insured-that's a relief. We sorted a couple of other things out too, and overall we had a productive meeting this afternoon. In the main meeting, we heard Maurice McCracken speak. He was fantastic, speaking on Colossians 1:1-14.

That's all for tonight. Off to bed after a long day!

No comments: