Wednesday, December 20, 2006

This morning I was again thinking about unity - and reading the same passages in Philippians again. They're awesome! It's certainly got me thinking about what authentic Christian community should be (although that sounds like a statement riven with jargon) and how the small decisions that we make on a day-to-day basis can affect the people in our sphere of experience. I know that I need to work at a few friendships in the next few months, certainly. There's a few people that I really haven't made the time for over the past few months, and I regret that, in a way, although it hasn't felt like a conscious choice; at times it's been one of necessity as I've been (or have felt I've been) so busy. I'm not naturally especially active and I tend to spend a lot of time thinking and reflecting on things, so to feel like I'm 'on the go' all the time is quite stressful for me, and I need to maybe learn a few new ways to cope with that.

I'm researching an essay on Homi K. Bhabha at the moment. My question is to be on his theory of the 'ambivalent temporality of modernity' and how this can provide a platform for a (crucially) resistant cultural critique. I've looked at an extract from his book 'the location of culture' and this afternoon I was in the library to take out the whole thing. Hopefully reading in a little more depth over the subject should help out a bit.
I find what he says really interesting. Essentially he seems to posit simple binary divisions like black/white, East/West, inside/outside, as providing an inadequete conceptual framework for any attempt to address the problem of the representation of the 'Other' within culture. He seems to be asking the question of how a simple process of reversal can counter the implicit injustices of colonialism, and advocates a very different understanding of the concept through a 'temporal' rather than 'spatial' understanding.
I need to get on with this work, as I have two 3000 word essays to hand in immediately after the Christmas vacation, on top of my dissertation work.


No comments: